Expand All Questions
Collapse All Questions
How can the Law Library Staff help you?
Court employees are prohibited from giving legal advice. The library’s staff is
able to help you use the library, but we cannot research or interpret the law
The Law Library Staff CAN:
- Explain how to use legal research tools
- Assist you to locate a particular statute or case when you have a specific
reference or citation
- Direct you to sources of law, including statutes and cases
The Law Library Staff CANNOT:
- Give legal advice
- Interpret the meaning of statutes, cases or regulations
- Select or suggest statutes, cases or regulations for your situation
- Choose specific forms or language to use in forms
- Tell you how to file a document, what document to file, or how to proceed
with court actions
- State opinions on legal matters
- Do legal research for you
If you are in need of someone who will research and interpret the law for you,
you should consider talking to an attorney. The Virgin Islands Bar Association
has made available a Directory of Attorneys admitted to practice law in the
Virgin Islands. Additionally, you may inquire of the Lawyer Referral Services
provided by the Bar Association. You may contact the Bar Association at the
V.I. BAR ASSOCIATION
27-28 King Cross Street
P.O. Box 4108, C’sted.
Christiansted, VI 00820
What is the cost to make copies?
Copies are $.25 per page. The library does not provide change. A dollar bill
changer is available and will provide change for Five Dollars ($5.00) or less.
What is the Law Library's circulation policy?
The Superior Court Law Library is principally a research library. The entire
working collection must remain intact if meaningful research is to be
accomplished. Therefore, most library materials do not circulate. Only Judges
and Superior Court personnel are permitted to borrow materials. Members of the
general public, including members of the Bar, are welcome to use the resources
while in the library.
The Law Library asks that patrons return books to their proper place on the
shelves after use.